Current:Home > MyRuling by Senegal’s highest court blocks jailed opposition leader Sonko from running for president -Capitatum
Ruling by Senegal’s highest court blocks jailed opposition leader Sonko from running for president
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 02:11:33
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Senegal’s highest court on Friday effectively barred detained opposition leader Ousmane Sonko from running for president early next year by overturning a decision that would have reinstated him to the West African country’s voter rolls.
The legal setback for the embattled politician came the same day that a West African regional court dismissed his case seeking his reinstatement. Sonko was recently returned to a Dakar jail after being hospitalized for several weeks amid a hunger strike.
Senegal’s government formally dissolved Sonko’s political party earlier this year and canceled his voter registration after he was convicted of corrupting youth. His followers maintain the charge and prosecution were politically motivated and aimed at derailing his candidacy in the February election.
A court in the southern city of Ziguinchor, where Sonko serves as mayor, ruled in favor of restoring him to the voter rolls but the Supreme Court “quashed and annulled” that decision, according to Sonko attorney Cire Cledor Ly. The case was remanded to the Dakar high court, he said.
Senegalese authorities have refused to give Sonko the sponsorship papers needed to officially register his candidacy.
Sonko, who finished third in the country’s last presidential election, was widely seen as the main challenger to President Macky Sall’s ruling party. Sall ultimately decided not to seek a third term in office after Sonko’s supporters launched months of protests that at times turned deadly.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
Sonko also had appealed to the Court of Justice of the regional bloc ECOWAS to contest both the dissolution of his party and the striking of his voter registration, but that court ruled Friday “that none of Mr. Ousmane Sonko’s rights had been violated and dismissed his claims,” Ly said.
veryGood! (62984)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Nashville woman missing for weeks found dead in creek as homicide detectives search for her car
- San Francisco Giants' Matt Chapman bets on himself after 'abnormal' free agency
- After a fender bender, this pup ran a mile to her doggy daycare to seek shelter
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 'The Harlem Renaissance' and what is Black art for?
- Nevada Democratic US Sen. Jacky Rosen, at union hall rally, makes reelection bid official
- Slumping New Jersey Devils fire coach Lindy Ruff, promote Travis Green
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- EAGLEEYE COIN: Prospects for the Application of Blockchain Technology in the Medical Industry
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Indiana lawmakers aim to adjourn their session early. Here’s what’s at stake in the final week
- Spanish tourist camping with her husband is gang raped in India; 3 arrested as police search for more suspects
- Court rules Florida’s “stop woke” law restricting business diversity training is unconstitutional
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 2 snowmobilers killed in separate avalanches in Washington and Idaho
- EAGLEEYE COIN: Hong Kong's Development of Virtual Asset Market Takes Another Step Forward
- After years in conflict zones, a war reporter reckons with a deadly cancer diagnosis
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Can you register to vote at the polls today? Super Tuesday states with same-day voter registration for the 2024 primaries
Toyota, Jeep, Hyundai and Ford among 1.4 million vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Alabama Republicans to vote on nominee for chief justice, weeks after court’s frozen embryo ruling
Sam Taylor
Crew Dragon docks with space station, bringing four fresh crew members to the outpost
What to know about Alabama’s fast-tracked legislation to protect in vitro fertilization clinics
'The Voice': John Legend is ‘really disappointed’ after past contestant chooses Dan + Shay